UAE newspaper: Buffer zone controlled by Turkey in Syria will not be safe

A joint international monitoring force could provide security in northern Syria, and the Ankara presence would put civilians at risk and increase Ankara's aggressive role in Syria, UAE "The National"  newspaper said.

UAE newspaper: Buffer zone controlled by Turkey in Syria will not be safe
9 February, 2019   11:09

NEWS DESK

In an opinion in the newspaper "The National" UAE spoke about the threats of Recep Tayyip Erdogan repeated to the north-east of Syria and said that “Our patience is not limitless,” said Turkey’s Recep Tayyip Erdogan this week, as uncertainty continues to loom over a proposed northern Syria safe zone. The 32-kilometre zone was mooted by Erdogan last month, apparently as a way to appease US President Donald Trump a day after he threatened to “devastate” Turkey’s economy if the Kurds were attacked. But what might have superficially appeared to have been an olive branch from Ankara was in fact an unabashed attempt to remove Kurdish forces from its borders, at any cost.

The newspaper added, "A Turkish-controlled buffer zone would put civilian lives at risk and would entrench Ankara within Syria’s borders."

The newspaper added that the US has approached Australia, France and Britain about monitoring the safe zone; an international observation force would be preferable.

It is noteworthy that Erdogan will meet Russian president Vladimir Putin next Thursday in Sochi, where Mr. Putin will continue to pressurize his Turkish counterpart to restore relations with Damascus. As these powers draft the next chapter of the Syrian war, US influence on the ground is dissipating, taking with it the Kurds’ last line of defense. A safe zone is a positive step, but unless it is patrolled by a joint international force, it will only add to the upheaval Syria is facing.

A.H

ANHA