UN closes 16 major programs in Yemen, and warns of a humanitarian disaster

​​​​​​​The United Nations announced, on Monday, that it has reduced and suspended 16 UN programs in Yemen, and said that 26 others are threatened with closure until the end of this year unless they receive additional funding.

"The lack of funding has crippled humanitarian operations in Yemen ... 16 of the 41 major UN programs have already been curtailed and suspended," UN Secretary-General spokesman Stephane Dujarric said in a press briefing.

"Another 26 services will be closed or reduced by the end of the year, unless additional funding is received," added Stephane Dujarric.

"So far, only 42 percent of the humanitarian response plan for Yemen has been funded, which is the lowest level ever at the end of the year," he said.

A spokesperson for the Secretary-General called on donors to "pay unpaid pledges and increase support."

He pointed out that "the humanitarian situation in Yemen continues to deteriorate with the escalation of clashes between the National Army and the Ansar Allah Al-Houthi group in the governorates of Hodeidah, Taiz and other places."

Dujarric confirmed that humanitarian workers have reported the displacement of more than 8,000 people this October, due to the recent escalation in violence.

Regarding the outbreak of the new Corona pandemic "Covid-19" in Yemen, the spokesman for the Secretary-General said, "The virus continues to spread unchecked throughout the country."

Dujarric warned that "the risk of hunger for millions in Yemen is on the rise in parallel with the spread of Covid-19, as food prices have risen by 140 percent of the average prices before the conflict."

T/S

ANHA


Other news