The world's newspapers on Friday addressed the Turkish occupation in Syria after the Russian-Turkish agreement and U.S. strikes on Iranian-backed groups in Iraq in retaliation for killing of two U.S. and British soldiers in a likely attack by Iranian-backed forces in Iraq, the international press reported on Friday.
The Times: Turkish forces will remain in Syria after Putin-Erdogan deal on Syria
The Times said, "Turkey said that its forces will remain in Syria under an agreement with Russia, warning that it is ready to "harm anyone who attacks it."
The announcement came yesterday after President Putin and President Erdogan spoke by phone to praise the "significant drop in tensions" in Idlib, northwestern Syria, after a ceasefire agreement last week halted months of violence and confrontations between Turkish and regime forces.
The Turkish Defense Minister, Khalousi Akar said 7,000 soldiers would "retain their presence" in the rebel-held Idlib area.
"We have reached a great deal of agreement," Akar said, referring to discussions that confirmed Turkey's expanded military presence in northern Syria and regional gains.
The Wall Street Journal: U.S. strikes on Iranian-backed militias in Iraq
Many international newspapers today addressed the tension between Iran and America, the Wall Street Journal said" U.S. officials said Friday, that the United States launched air strikes against an Iranian-backed militia in Iraq, entered a new phase of military confrontation with Iran and its allies by retaliating for killing of two Americans and a British service member earlier this week.
The U.S. strikes targeted five separate weapons storage facilities in Iraq linked to Hezbollah Brigades, a Shiite militia operating in Iraq, which U.S. officials said repeatedly targeted bases where U.S. soldiers are located."
The Washington Times: General Frank Mackenzie: Iran is "probably" behind the deadly missile attack in Iraq
In the the same context, the Pentagon said the missile attack that killed two U.S. soldiers and a British soldier in Iraq on Wednesday was "probably" carried out by Iranian-backed militants.
Gen. Frank McKenzie, commander of the U.S. Central Command leading U.S. operations in the Middle East, told a Senate committee on Thursday that he believed Hezbollah brigades, an Iranian-backed paramilitary group, were the only group capable of carrying out such attacks.
The four-star general referred to the December missile attack on a military base in Iraq, which killed a U.S. contractor and brought the United States and Iran to the brink of war, which is believed to have been carried out by the same armed group."