​​​​​​​AANES's Representative, Hassan, discloses details of his kidnapping by PDK

​​​​​​​ Jihad Hassan revealed the reasons for his kidnapping from Erbil Airport on June 10, and detailed what he had endured in the Kurdistan Democratic Forces prison, and stressed that his release came out of fear of exposing the practices of the PDK, as Hassan was scheduled to meet with the International Red Cross in prison on the day of his release.

 Without any charge or right, the Kurdistan Democratic Party forces kidnapped the representative of the Autonomous Administration of North and East Syria, Jihad Hassan, and two members of the Democratic Union Party's relations, at the Erbil Airport, on the 10th of last June, while they were receiving a foreign delegation on its way to Rojava.

 On the 29th of last July, the two members of the Democratic Union Party relations, Mustafa Othman Khalil and Mustafa Aziz Musati, were released, but Jihad Hassan remained kidnapped despite the deterioration of his health.

 He was released after 112 days of kidnapping without a clear argument or conviction against him or a trial in the Kurdistan Democratic Party prisons, which deported him to Rojava. Accordingly, our agency conducted a lengthy dialogue with the representative of the Autonomous Administration, Jihad Hassan.

 The text of the interview stated:

 * First of all, why were you kidnapped by the Kurdistan Democratic Party?

 I am also amazed and eager to know the reasons for my arrest. I  have been there for 7 years, and the security authorities know that I am officially there.

Every time they interrogated me, they said that you went with two of your comrades to Erbil Airport to receive guests who are posing danger on the national security in Başûr Kurdistan, and you had a hand in hitting the security.

 I explained to them that we were receiving the delegation at the airport, and the airport is under your control and we will take them to your hotels, then we will coordinate with the foreign relations in Rojava in order to send them there.

 I told them that if the visiting delegation had any aims to strike the national security of Başûr Kurdistan, I would have admitted that.  If the delegation had these goals, they would not have sent them back to their homeland on the same day.

 When we received the delegation, 4 cars raided the airport and arrested us inappropriately and tied my hands to the shells. I could not believe the way they arrested us.

 If these accusations are true, why did they release my colleagues, and keep me arrested?!  As soon as the investigation began, I realized that the they had other goals.

They asked about my family's relationship with the Kurdistan Freedom Movement.  They said that your father was imprisoned by the Assad regime in 1999 and they also asked me about my cousin who was martyred in the ranks of the freedom movement.  They arrested me because of their hatred for my family.

 12 days before my arrest, I was on a visit to Rojava, to register my four children in the family affair book, but due to the Corona virus spike, I was unable to complete my work, so I visited the Autonomous Administration institutions to see their work.

 Before my arrest, they told my brother that Jihad should return to Başûr?  They know very well that I came to Rojava through the Semalka crossing.

A few days before my arrest, the KDP's Asayish called me and said we hope that you will be responsive to us.  we trust you a lot. We have never seen anything bad from you. I told them that I have no problem. They asked me about my cousin, my father and brother the fighter as well as my work within the student federation in Rojava.  They collected all this information about me when I was visiting Rojava.

 I realized then that they were preparing to arrest me.  While I was receiving the delegation, gunmen from the Kurdistan Democratic Party raided the airport at 4 am, then they led me to a security center for them at the airport and interrogated me for 9 hours straight.

It is noteworthy, they threatened to imprison me for 4 months. They asked what I did during my visit to Rojava. I told them that I was there to do some work. I also met my colleagues in the Autonomous Administration. Then, they said, "You mean the Kurdistan Workers' Party." They insisted and pressured me to say I was dealing with him ( the PKK).

The investigators were provoking me, accusing me of dealing with the Kurdistan Freedom Movement. On the first day of the investigation, they asked me to unlock my mobile phone. I refused as I told  them I am here on an official capacity. They said then, you will be under arrest.

After 9 straight hours interrogation, a car came in with masked and heavily armed men as if they were going to arrest a terrorist cell, they raided the room I was in, ordered me not to move and put a black bag in my head. What is the need for these intimidating practices, I couldn't believe what they did to me, it was a nightmare?

* Where were you imprisoned and what happened after that?

They took me to the "Asayish General Prison in Hewler", run by the KDP's Parsten Service, the intelligence. This prison is notorious, all the detainees do not know when they will be released, some are without trial; they cannot see their families.

Those committed serious crimes are in this prison. The room was small, and more than 127 people were arrested, including 90% of drug addicts, 12 mercenaries from ISIS, criminals accused of committing murders.

I saw things that I had not seen in my life. Being a political prisoner, there should have been peculiarities for a prisoner like me.

* Have you been subjected to any kind of torture?

In fact, I was not subjected to any physical torture, but they tortured us psychologically which is worse than physical torture. I always demanded to transfer me to another dormitory, but they said you always talk about will and principles, after which I said to myself that I must resist in this prison no matter what happens.

After releasing my colleagues, they interrogated me again. A group of four people were doing the interrogation, some of them are of high ranks. The accusation they put on me this time was that they included young men in the Kurdistan Freedom Movement, as well as including fighters from Başur in the ranks of the military forces there. I wonder at their questions, and they are well aware of what I am doing, as I have not worked in secret.

I was astonished of the accusations. They told me they will deport you to Rojava to humiliate me. Before my arrest, I was on a visit to the office of the Presidency in Başûr Kurdistan, I met Dr. Hamid Darbandi, there should have been immunity for me.

When I told him that am an officially here, they told me that your Rojava's administration is not recognized. You have no right to talk about immunity. Do you recognize the administration and receive me in the office of the Presidency?

The investigation changed when I said that I am a diplomat. They told me you are intelligence officer? Who are you affiliated with? Are you affiliated with Mazloum Abdi or Aldar Khalil? I told them: “My ideological leader, Abdullah Ocalan, and the moral leaders are 11,000 martyrs and 21,000 wounded. When they heard that, they told me that you are a trainee with the Kurdistan Workers’ Party.

You are following in the footsteps of Aldar Khalil, you are tough and unrelenting. You have a picture with Mazloum Abdi. They accused me of spying for Mazlum Abdi, as if every official in Rojava was affiliated with a party?

* How were 112 days in prison?

The prison was very narrow, they stacked us on top of each other, and during sleep 3 people were pushing us with their legs to stack us more so that we did not feel our limbs, and I was having difficulty breathing, and on top of all this the prison warden was trampling on our limbs.

* How did you communicate with the outside?

During the investigation, they told me that the fighters of the Freedom Movement (Guerillas) attacked the Peshmerga with the Coalition weapon supplied to the People's Protection Units. They were provoking me."

They told me that your party's friend, Lahur Sheikh Jangî, had received a major blow. soon your turn would come. Then they told me, "Look what you did to yourself." I knew they were telling lies and that's when I realized the key role of the media to get me released.

* Have you been communicating with your relatives?

I contacted my family 40 days after my arrest, once every 15 days and for 3 minutes under observation.

* How was your health condition in prison?

I was stripped of everything, I was sick for 3 months straight, I had severe diarrhea as a result of eating, I was also suffering from joint and vertebrae pain as a result of them stacking us and they didn't bring any medicines.

I was also suffering from high pressure and dehydration." He added

Although my health condition was very bad, but they interrogated me again, they told me that we see that your health condition is deteriorating, it seems clear that you are sick, not treating yourself, so I told them, how do I get treated and you told the doctors not to treat me and give me medicines, while I was going to the bathroom, I was bleeding.

* Did you go on hunger strike in prison?

Yes, that was 40 days after my two colleagues and I were arrested. I was not satisfied with the situation we were in, especially since we are imprisoned with mercenaries and drug users. I told my brother that we will go on an open hunger strike when 50 days have passed since our arrest, the day we were going to start with the strike, I was surprised that they released my colleague. I went on hunger strike for two consecutive days.

I ended my hunger strike, because it coincided with the strike of a group of politicians in Başûr Kurdistan who had finished their trial and had entered into a massive hunger strike. I was confused and said to myself if I continued the strike, they would accuse me of collaborating with them, and they were waiting for an excuse.

* What is the reason that prompted the Kurdistan Democratic Party to release you?

A few days ago, a delegation from the International Red Cross visited the prison. I had registered to meet them, and I was preparing to tell them that I went on a hunger strike, and when it was my turn to meet them, I was surprised that they called my name to release me.

They took me out of prison, and from the other side the International Red Cross entered the dormitory I was in. They took me to a room and handcuffed my hands with shells again, and put a black bag in my head. They quickly took me out of the prison so that I would not meet the Red Cross and expose their practices.

Also, my family had contacted the United Nations, which had submitted a petition and would intervene. There is a description of me in Başûr as a refugee. This would have caused the KDP a big problem if the United Nations and the International Red Cross had known, especially since I am detained without any charges against me.

The media played an important role in my release, and from here I extend my thanks to all the media outlets that supported me and supported me in the ordeal I was in, and conveyed what I was going through to the world public opinion, as well as all thanks to the Autonomous Administration for its honorable stances, and here my mission will not always end. Ready for any future business.

They do not want the Kurds to have a position and a will. They painted a picture of the Rojava Kurds and want to make of them humiliating and weak characters and tools. They reject the idea of linking with thought and the land. It is good for his country, not good for anyone.

* What happened after they released you from prison? And where did they take you?

They handcuffed my hands with shells. They also covered my head with a black bag. They took me to complete some transactions. They refused to give me my ID and my mobile phone, and they said literally: Go from here and don't utter another letter.

On the way to Semalka, I asked them for a bottle of water, but they refused to give me water. I don't know if I was such a danger to them that they would treat me in this way?

* How do you see the policies of the Kurdistan Democratic Party after 112 days of detention?

I call on the Kurdistan Democratic Party to abandon these practices aimed at insulting the Kurdish people, and I tell them: Do not use your strength against the Kurdish people, and unite your ranks, instead of spending all these months interrogating and interrogating me, try to build people like us to build Kurdistan, and instead make plans to confront the enemies Kurdish people.



Other news